Choosing Drum Sets for Sale
Buying a drum set is no joke. There are many different types and brands available in the market, but not all of these are made equally. Like all other products in the market, there are a good drum set, average drums, and even poor ones. To make sure that you get the best among all the drum sets for sale, it is important to know what you need and what you are looking for.
Drum Set Parts
Since drums are made up of separate units, it can be difficult to know what you need without first understanding each part of the set. By knowing what the exact parts are it will be easier to determine what is needed. The basic types of drums and percussion instruments are:
- Snare– A metal or wood shell drum that has a distinct sharp and cutting sound.
- Cymbals– Thin round plates made from metal. Types of cymbals include crash cymbals, hi-hats and ride cymbals.
Aside from these, drums are matched with hardware. These are the items which help put together a drum set. Items such as stands for cymbals, snares, and even the bass drum pedal are all hardware.
The most basic drum set for beginners will contain four basic pieces. These are a bass drum, snare drum, mounted tom and floor tom. Sets may or may not contain cymbals. In cases where these are not the art of the set, it becomes an add-on at an additional cost. These four basic drums are often enough for beginners. More drums can be added as skills improve, and techniques are learned.
As mentioned, not all drum sets are the same. In fact, some do not even contain the same number of drums or percussion instruments. This is because there are various configurations for drum sets according to the size used. The size of the diameter of a drum helps determine its configuration.
There is the Standard Configuration contains 12″ and 13″ mounted toms, 22″ bass drum, nd a 16″ floor tom. These are bigger sizes which produce larger tons and louder sounds. On the other hand, there is the Fusion Configuration which usually uses a 22″ bass drum, 10″ and 12″ mounted toms and a 14″ floor tom that may be suspended or standing. The smaller drums allow for more articulate sounds which are forceful. The type of music to be played can help determine the type of configuration that should be chosen.
The Ludwig Accent Drum set with hardware and cymbals is a fusion configured drum set. The set comes with: 6″x20″ Bass Drum, 5″x 14″ Snare Drum, 8″x 10″ Mounted Tom Tom, 8″x 12″ Mounted Tom Tom and a 14″ x 14″ Floor Tom. It also includes a 13” hi-hat and 16” crash cymbals. It also comes with all the hardware needed for setting up and playing. These are the single bass pedal, cymbal stand, snare stand, hi-hat, and throne. A complete basic set it is ideal for beginners just starting how to learn to play the drums.
Material and Construction of Drum Sets for Sale
Other than what is included in the set and its configuration, it is also important to consider the material used for these and how they are made. Wood is a basic component of drum shells, but there are different woods which can be used. The type of wood which is used for production will help determine the sounds made.
- Maple is the most common wood used. It produces a warm and balanced tone.
- Falkata is a common substitute for Maple because it is cheaper but produces the same sound.
- Oak is another wood that produces a similar sound to Maple. However, it is more porous and can make the sound more powerful and clear.
- Birch is a hardwood that can make bright, clear and loud tones ideal for recording. It also has better high and lows and a lessened midrange tone.
- Basswood is a popular substitute to Maple and Oak because it is abundant. It gives a nice finish to the shell.
- Mahogany is another hardwood that produces a warm vintage sound. It produces reduced highs while creating enhanced lows and midrange sounds.
- Poplar is a cheaper alternative to Birch and Mahogany but it produces a similar sound.
- Lauan knew as “select hardwood” is a cheaper version of Birch.
Aside from the type of wood used, the kind of construction used is also important. Plies refer to the number of layers of wood used. Generally speaking, more layers of wood will produce a brighter and higher sound. Fewer layers will give way to lower and warmer sounds.
Also, the angle of the cut of the drum shell’s bearing edge also affects the sound quality of a drum set. Rounded bearing edges give way to lower and more mellow tones. On the other hand, a bearing edge with a sharper angle produces tones that are brighter with more definition.
The Yamaha Gig Maker set uses a standard configuration. The set is composed of 22″x16″ Bass Drum, 16″x16″ Floor Tom, 13″x9.5″ Mounted Tom Tom, 12″x9″ Mounted Tom Tom and a 14″ x 5.5″ Snare Drum. These come as a set with the following hardware: bass drum pedal and a set of Yamaha’s double-braced hardware. The set does not include cymbals, but these can be bought separately. Shells are made from Basswood and Poplar and finished with glitter wrap. This is a good set that is not too expensive due to the wood used. It is a good choice when looking for mid ranged priced drum sets for sale.