Choosing Drum Sets for Sale 2019
Buying a drum set is no joke. There are many different types and brands available in the market, but not all of these are made equally. Like all other products in the market, there is a good drum set, average drums, and even poor ones.
To make sure that you get the best among all the drum sets for sale, it is important to know what you need and what you are looking for.
Drum Set Parts
Since drums are made up of separate units, it can be difficult to know what you need without first understanding each part of the set. By knowing what the exact parts are it will be easier to determine what is needed. The basic types of drums and percussion instruments are:
- Bass Drum– The largest of all the pieces, this stands on the floor and is played with the use of a foot pedal.
- Toms– Drums of different sizes which are usually mounted to the bass drum or on a rack. Toms which stand on their own are known as floor toms
- Snare– A metal or wood shell drum that has a distinct sharp and cutting sound.
- Cymbals– Thin round plates made from metal. Types of cymbals include crash cymbals, hi-hats and ride cymbals.
Aside from these, drums are matched with hardware. These are the items which help put together a drum set. Items such as stands for cymbals, snares, and even the bass drum pedal are all hardware.
- New Full Size Pink Drum Set
- Cymbals Stands Sticks Stool Included
- Everything You Need To Start Playing
- Amazing Low Sale Price
- Recommended Age Group: Child, Kids 2.5 ft to 5 ft tall
- 16" x 11" Bass Drum, 10" x 5" and 8" x 6" Tom Toms
- 12" x 10" Floor Tom, 10" x 6" Matching Snare Drum
- 8" Hi-Hat, 10" Crash Cymbal with Bass Drum Mounted Stand
- Includes: Round padded height adjustable drum throne, Bass drum pedal, A pair of wooden drum sticks, Easy to read set up instructions (Assembly is required)
- GENUINE REMO HEADS: Each drum in this set features prestigious Remo brand UT-series batter heads (top side of drum). Remo is the world's largest drumhead company and their products combine industry excellence with classic sound qualities, perfect for any aspiring drummer.
- PROFESSIONAL SET: Ideal for all adult musicians, beginner to advanced, this full-size set provides everything needed for playing and perfecting practice, including a 22" x 16" eight-lug bass drum, 16" x 16" floor tom, 13" x 10" and 12" x 9" mounted toms, 14" x 6" snare with wires, 14" hi-hat cymbals, 16" crash/ride cymbal, all stands, padded throne (stool), drumsticks, hardware, chain-driven pedals, and drum adjustment key.
- TOP COMPONENTS FOR RICH SOUND: This deluxe set is crafted utilizing the highest quality materials, such as genuine Poplar hardwood shells, upgraded heads, and triple flanged hoops, all chosen for their ability to maximize frequency response and resonance for the ultimate acoustic experience.
- STAGE-WORTHY APPEARANCE: Available in several finishes to suit any preference, each set features top-quality hardware and accents for a sleek look.
- SOME ASSEMBLY REQUIRED: Detailed, easy-to-read instructions for frustration-free setup.
- FULL SIZE ADULT DRUM SET: Complete with every piece needed to jam out, this set includes a snare, bass drum, floor tom, high-hat cymbal, ride cymbal, bass drum pedal, stool, 2 rack toms, and drum sticks
- CLASSIC DESIGN: Crafted with a high-gloss finish, as well as white drum heads and eye-catching chrome details to give your drums a timeless appearance
- VERSATILE SIZE: Ideal for beginning drummers and those more experienced, this set's standard size makes it suitable for users young and old
- DURABLE COMPOSITION: Made of solid wood and metal, these drums are built to stand the test of time while fostering your love of music
- BASS DRUM DIMENSIONS: 23"(Dia) x 16.5"(H)
- Item may ship in more than one box and may arrive separately
- Spotlight's bass drum, tom toms, and snare feature a 9-ply Poplar shell for optimum tonal power.
- Hardware Included; Double Braced Hardware
- Cymbals Included
- Matching Snare
The most basic drum set for beginners will contain four basic pieces. These are a bass drum, snare drum, mounted tom and floor tom. Sets may or may not contain cymbals.
In cases where these are not the art of the set, it becomes an add-on at an additional cost. These four basic drums are often enough for beginners. More drums can be added as skills improve, and techniques are learned.
As mentioned, not all drum sets are the same. In fact, some do not even contain the same number of drums or percussion instruments.
This is because there are various configurations for drum sets according to the size used. The size of the diameter of a drum helps determine its configuration.
There is the Standard Configuration contains 12″ and 13″ mounted toms, 22″ bass drum, and a 16″ floor tom. These are bigger sizes which produce larger tons and louder sounds.
On the other hand, there is the Fusion Configuration which usually uses a 22″ bass drum, 10″ and 12″ mounted toms and a 14″ floor tom that may be suspended or standing. The smaller drums allow for more articulate sounds which are forceful. The type of music to be played can help determine the type of configuration that should be chosen.
The Ludwig Accent Drum set with hardware and cymbals is a fusion configured drum set.
The set comes with: 6″x20″ Bass Drum, 5″x 14″ Snare Drum, 8″x 10″ Mounted Tom Tom, 8″x 12″ Mounted TomTom and a 14″ x 14″ Floor Tom.
It also includes a 13” hi-hat and 16” crash cymbals. It also comes with all the hardware needed for setting up and playing. These are the single bass pedal, cymbal stand, snare stand, hi-hat, and throne.
A complete basic set it is ideal for beginners just starting how to learn to play the drums.
Material and Construction of Drum Sets for Sale
Other than what is included in the set and its configuration, it is also important to consider the material used for these and how they are made.
Wood is a basic component of drum shells, but there are different woods which can be used. The type of wood which is used for production will help determine the sounds made.
- Maple is the most common wood used. It produces a warm and balanced tone.
- Falkata is a common substitute for Maple because it is cheaper but produces the same sound.
- Oak is another wood that produces a similar sound to Maple. However, it is more porous and can make the sound more powerful and clear.
- Birch is a hardwood that can make bright, clear and loud tones ideal for recording. It also has better highs and lows and a lessened midrange tone.
- Basswood is a popular substitute for Maple and Oak because it is abundant. It gives a nice finish to the shell.
- Mahogany is another hardwood that produces a warm vintage sound. It produces reduced highs while creating enhanced lows and midrange sounds.
- Poplar is a cheaper alternative to Birch and Mahogany but it produces a similar sound.
- Lauan knew as “select hardwood” is a cheaper version of Birch.
Aside from the type of wood used, the kind of construction used is also important. Plies refer to the number of layers of wood used. Generally speaking, more layers of wood will produce a brighter and higher sound. Fewer layers will give way to lower and warmer sounds.
Also, the angle of the cut of the drum shell’s bearing edge also affects the sound quality of a drum set. Rounded bearing edges give way to lower and more mellow tones. On the other hand, a bearing edge with a sharper angle produces tones that are brighter with more definition.
The Yamaha Gig Maker set uses a standard configuration. The set is composed of 22″x16″ Bass Drum, 16″x16″ Floor Tom, 13″x9.5″ Mounted Tom Tom, 12″x9″ Mounted TomTom and a 14″ x 5.5″ Snare Drum.
These come as a set with the following hardware: bass drum pedal and a set of Yamaha’s double-braced hardware. The set does not include cymbals, but these can be bought separately.
Shells are made from Basswood and Poplar and finished with glitter wrap. This is a good set that is not too expensive due to the wood used. It is a good choice when looking for mid-ranged priced drum sets for sale.