Choosing Drum Sets for Sale 2019
Buying a drum set is no joke. There are many different types and brands available in the market, but not all of these are made equally. Like all other products in the market, there is a good drum set, average drums, and even poor ones.
To make sure that you get the best among all the drum sets for sale, it is important to know what you need and what you are looking for.
Drum Set Parts
Since drums are made up of separate units, it can be difficult to know what you need without first understanding each part of the set. By knowing what the exact parts are it will be easier to determine what is needed. The basic types of drums and percussion instruments are:
- Bass Drum– The largest of all the pieces, this stands on the floor and is played with the use of a foot pedal.
- Toms– Drums of different sizes which are usually mounted to the bass drum or on a rack. Toms which stand on their own are known as floor toms
- Snare– A metal or wood shell drum that has a distinct sharp and cutting sound.
- Cymbals– Thin round plates made from metal. Types of cymbals include crash cymbals, hi-hats and ride cymbals.
Aside from these, drums are matched with hardware. These are the items which help put together a drum set. Items such as stands for cymbals, snares, and even the bass drum pedal are all hardware.
- Item may ship in more than one box and may arrive separately
- Ready to rock right out of the box!
- 9 ply, 7mm Poplar Shells & 1.2mm Triple Flanged hoops. Comes with Heads and Double Braced Hardware.
- Drums Included: 22x16 Bass Drum, 1x8 Tom, 12x9 Tom, 16x16 Floor Tom, 14x5.5 Snare Drum
- Cymbals Included: 16" Brass Crash-Ride, 14" Hybrid Hi-Hats
- GENUINE REMO HEADS: Each drum in this set features prestigious Remo brand UT-series batter heads (top side of drum). Remo is the world's largest drumhead company and their products combine industry excellence with classic sound qualities, perfect for any aspiring drummer.
- PROFESSIONAL SET: Ideal for all adult musicians, beginner to advanced, this full-size set provides everything needed for playing and perfecting practice, including a 22" x 16" eight-lug bass drum, 16" x 16" floor tom, 13" x 10" and 12" x 9" mounted toms, 14" x 6" snare with wires, 14" hi-hat cymbals, 16" crash/ride cymbal, all stands, padded throne (stool), drumsticks, hardware, chain-driven pedals, and drum adjustment key.
- TOP COMPONENTS FOR RICH SOUND: This deluxe set is crafted utilizing the highest quality materials, such as genuine Poplar hardwood shells, upgraded heads, and triple flanged hoops, all chosen for their ability to maximize frequency response and resonance for the ultimate acoustic experience.
- STAGE-WORTHY APPEARANCE: Available in several finishes to suit any preference, each set features top-quality hardware and accents for a sleek look.
- SOME ASSEMBLY REQUIRED: Detailed, easy-to-read instructions for frustration-free setup.
- Full Size Complete Drum Set ALL YOU NEED!
- Absolutely Everything You Need To Play is Included
- All Drums with Cymbals Sticks Stool and Stands
- Great Looking High Gloss Metallic Blue Finish
- Top Seller & Reliable Quality & Best Value
- MATERIAL-Real Wood Shells,high gloss finish all drums,and the drum skin adopts double-layer oil skin, good elasticity and longer use time
- EXCELLENT WORKMANSHIP-The bottom of the drum has a ringing chord, and when the drums are played, the chord and the drum surface resonate, causing the music to sound.
- BASS AND TOM DRUM BRACKET-Adjust the angles for playing drums.The screws can be adjusted, drums can be well protected ,enhancing the resonance effect. The music is more contagious played through the drums
- INCLUDED-bass drum,Tom Drums, snare Drum,snare Stand,Hi hat Stand & Cymbals,mounted Cymbal,drum Stool,bass drum pedal,drum Key and drum Sticks
- PRODUCT SIZE-22" x 16" bass drum,12" x 10" and 13" x 11" tom drums, 14" x 5.5" snare drum,16" x 16" floor tom
- Absoloutely Everything You Need To Start Playing
- 5 Piece drum set with Cymbals Stands Sticks Hardware
- High Gloss Black Finsih & Black or Chrome Rims - Complete Drum Set
- Amazingly Low Price and Ships Fast. Don't over tighten. Doing so will strip the lug
- Top Seller & Makes the Ultimate Gift!
The most basic drum set for beginners will contain four basic pieces. These are a bass drum, snare drum, mounted tom and floor tom. Sets may or may not contain cymbals.
In cases where these are not the art of the set, it becomes an add-on at an additional cost. These four basic drums are often enough for beginners. More drums can be added as skills improve, and techniques are learned.
As mentioned, not all drum sets are the same. In fact, some do not even contain the same number of drums or percussion instruments.
This is because there are various configurations for drum sets according to the size used. The size of the diameter of a drum helps determine its configuration.
There is the Standard Configuration contains 12″ and 13″ mounted toms, 22″ bass drum, and a 16″ floor tom. These are bigger sizes which produce larger tons and louder sounds.
On the other hand, there is the Fusion Configuration which usually uses a 22″ bass drum, 10″ and 12″ mounted toms and a 14″ floor tom that may be suspended or standing. The smaller drums allow for more articulate sounds which are forceful. The type of music to be played can help determine the type of configuration that should be chosen.
The Ludwig Accent Drum set with hardware and cymbals is a fusion configured drum set.
The set comes with: 6″x20″ Bass Drum, 5″x 14″ Snare Drum, 8″x 10″ Mounted Tom Tom, 8″x 12″ Mounted TomTom and a 14″ x 14″ Floor Tom.
It also includes a 13” hi-hat and 16” crash cymbals. It also comes with all the hardware needed for setting up and playing. These are the single bass pedal, cymbal stand, snare stand, hi-hat, and throne.
A complete basic set it is ideal for beginners just starting how to learn to play the drums.
Material and Construction of Drum Sets for Sale
Other than what is included in the set and its configuration, it is also important to consider the material used for these and how they are made.
Wood is a basic component of drum shells, but there are different woods which can be used. The type of wood which is used for production will help determine the sounds made.
- Maple is the most common wood used. It produces a warm and balanced tone.
- Falkata is a common substitute for Maple because it is cheaper but produces the same sound.
- Oak is another wood that produces a similar sound to Maple. However, it is more porous and can make the sound more powerful and clear.
- Birch is a hardwood that can make bright, clear and loud tones ideal for recording. It also has better highs and lows and a lessened midrange tone.
- Basswood is a popular substitute for Maple and Oak because it is abundant. It gives a nice finish to the shell.
- Mahogany is another hardwood that produces a warm vintage sound. It produces reduced highs while creating enhanced lows and midrange sounds.
- Poplar is a cheaper alternative to Birch and Mahogany but it produces a similar sound.
- Lauan knew as “select hardwood” is a cheaper version of Birch.
Aside from the type of wood used, the kind of construction used is also important. Plies refer to the number of layers of wood used. Generally speaking, more layers of wood will produce a brighter and higher sound. Fewer layers will give way to lower and warmer sounds.
Also, the angle of the cut of the drum shell’s bearing edge also affects the sound quality of a drum set. Rounded bearing edges give way to lower and more mellow tones. On the other hand, a bearing edge with a sharper angle produces tones that are brighter with more definition.
The Yamaha Gig Maker set uses a standard configuration. The set is composed of 22″x16″ Bass Drum, 16″x16″ Floor Tom, 13″x9.5″ Mounted Tom Tom, 12″x9″ Mounted TomTom and a 14″ x 5.5″ Snare Drum.
These come as a set with the following hardware: bass drum pedal and a set of Yamaha’s double-braced hardware. The set does not include cymbals, but these can be bought separately.
Shells are made from Basswood and Poplar and finished with glitter wrap. This is a good set that is not too expensive due to the wood used. It is a good choice when looking for mid-ranged priced drum sets for sale.