Choosing Drum Sets for Sale 2020
Buying a drum set is no joke. There are many different types and brands available in the market, but not all of these are made equally. Like all other products in the market, there is a good drum set, average drums, and even poor ones.
To make sure that you get the best among all the drum sets for sale, it is important to know what you need and what you are looking for.
Drum Set Parts
Since drums are made up of separate units, it can be difficult to know what you need without first understanding each part of the set. By knowing what the exact parts are it will be easier to determine what is needed. The basic types of drums and percussion instruments are:
- Bass Drum– The largest of all the pieces, this stands on the floor and is played with the use of a foot pedal.
- Toms– Drums of different sizes which are usually mounted to the bass drum or on a rack. Toms which stand on their own are known as floor toms
- Snare– A metal or wood shell drum that has a distinct sharp and cutting sound.
- Cymbals– Thin round plates made from metal. Types of cymbals include crash cymbals, hi-hats and ride cymbals.
Aside from these, drums are matched with hardware. These are the items which help put together a drum set. Items such as stands for cymbals, snares, and even the bass drum pedal are all hardware.
- ★ Professionally Tested Brand New Original Steel Tabla Drum Set for Student and Beginners Made with Steel
- ★ 100 % Handmade Professional Quality Tabla Set - Specially Crafted in India | Pure Traditional Music
- ★ Best Quality Easy to play and handle | Includes Gig Bag | Tabla Hammer | Music Book and Cushion & Cover
- ★ Golden Finish Bayan | Satnam Tabla Drums have high quality handmade skins with Professional Quality
- ★ PLEASE NOTE - This is a Handmade Instrument, Minor Nano Scratches/Chips or Dust Might be Present. steel tabla steel tabla set
- Recommended Age Group: Child, Kids 2.5 ft to 5 ft tall
- 16" x 11" Bass Drum, 10" x 5" and 8" x 6" Tom Toms
- 12" x 10" Floor Tom, 10" x 6" Matching Snare Drum
- 8" Hi-Hat, 10" Crash Cymbal with Bass Drum Mounted Stand
- Includes: Round padded height adjustable drum throne, Bass drum pedal, A pair of wooden drum sticks, Easy to read set up instructions (Assembly is required)
- Eastar EDS-480Bu full-size 5 drum set, drum body, stand, drum throne, cymbal, suitable for beginning and intermediate drum enthusiasts, drums with horizontal stripes of poplar, high strength, even vibration, sound Loud.
- EDS-480Bu bass drum adopts 8 drum lug structure, the drum skin tension is larger than similar products, and the drum skin vibration is better. The bass drum rings are made of high quality iron, the other parts are fully plated parts, and the Hi-Hat stand is 22mm single leg plating stand. The drum throne has a double-plate structure with a maximum load capacity of 330 lb (150 kg).
- High-quality drum skin, the drum skin of Eastar's 5-drum set has been selected, the thickness of the face and the resonance surface are different, and the sound is excellent. Due to transportation reasons, wrinkles are normal when the drum skin is received, and the wrinkles disappear after installation.
- The face of the snare drum is made of high-grade white matte skin. The sound of the snare drum of the Eastar is particularly good. Because the drum section has a slope, the sound of the snare drum can definitely match the mid-range snare drum.
- Content 22 "x 16" Bass drum x 1, 12 "x 8" Mounted tom x 1, 10 "x 7" Mounted tom x 1, 14 "x 5.5" Mounted snare (With Stand) x 1, 16inch x 16inch floor drum x 1, 14inch Hi-Hat Cymbal (With Stand) x 1, 16inc hStraight Cymbal (with stand) x 1,7A wooden drum sticks x 2. Bass Pedal x1,Round padded adjustable drum throne x 1,.Easy to read set up instructions (Assembly is required) x 1,12-Month Product Warranty.
- MAKE ANY STONE SPARKLE - Polish everyday rocks into dazzling gemstones
- ENHANCE YOUR ROCK COLLECTION - Or start a new one! Makes all rocks shine like professionally polished stones
- EVERYTHING IS INCLUDED - This kit includes the tumbler, four polishing grits, sifter, learning guide PLUS nine types of real rough gemstones
- EASY TO USE - Simple instructions, one-touch settings and an automatic shutoff timer
- SATISFACTION GUARANTEE - For 131 years, National Geographic has been committed to providing fun and fascinating educational opportunities for children and stands behind this Rock Tumbler with a two-year warranty
- Cleans and freshens washer interior
- Foaming tablet dissolves slowly to remove residue
- Safe for all washer components
- Safe on septic tanks
- Package includes six tablets
The most basic drum set for beginners will contain four basic pieces. These are a bass drum, snare drum, mounted tom and floor tom. Sets may or may not contain cymbals.
In cases where these are not the art of the set, it becomes an add-on at an additional cost. These four basic drums are often enough for beginners. More drums can be added as skills improve, and techniques are learned.
As mentioned, not all drum sets are the same. In fact, some do not even contain the same number of drums or percussion instruments.
This is because there are various configurations for drum sets according to the size used. The size of the diameter of a drum helps determine its configuration.
There is the Standard Configuration contains 12″ and 13″ mounted toms, 22″ bass drum, and a 16″ floor tom. These are bigger sizes which produce larger tons and louder sounds.
On the other hand, there is the Fusion Configuration which usually uses a 22″ bass drum, 10″ and 12″ mounted toms and a 14″ floor tom that may be suspended or standing. The smaller drums allow for more articulate sounds which are forceful. The type of music to be played can help determine the type of configuration that should be chosen.
The Ludwig Accent Drum set with hardware and cymbals is a fusion configured drum set.
The set comes with: 6″x20″ Bass Drum, 5″x 14″ Snare Drum, 8″x 10″ Mounted Tom Tom, 8″x 12″ Mounted TomTom and a 14″ x 14″ Floor Tom.
It also includes a 13” hi-hat and 16” crash cymbals. It also comes with all the hardware needed for setting up and playing. These are the single bass pedal, cymbal stand, snare stand, hi-hat, and throne.
A complete basic set it is ideal for beginners just starting how to learn to play the drums.
Material and Construction of Drum Sets for Sale
Other than what is included in the set and its configuration, it is also important to consider the material used for these and how they are made.
Wood is a basic component of drum shells, but there are different woods which can be used. The type of wood which is used for production will help determine the sounds made.
- Maple is the most common wood used. It produces a warm and balanced tone.
- Falkata is a common substitute for Maple because it is cheaper but produces the same sound.
- Oak is another wood that produces a similar sound to Maple. However, it is more porous and can make the sound more powerful and clear.
- Birch is a hardwood that can make bright, clear and loud tones ideal for recording. It also has better highs and lows and a lessened midrange tone.
- Basswood is a popular substitute for Maple and Oak because it is abundant. It gives a nice finish to the shell.
- Mahogany is another hardwood that produces a warm vintage sound. It produces reduced highs while creating enhanced lows and midrange sounds.
- Poplar is a cheaper alternative to Birch and Mahogany but it produces a similar sound.
- Lauan knew as “select hardwood” is a cheaper version of Birch.
Aside from the type of wood used, the kind of construction used is also important. Plies refer to the number of layers of wood used. Generally speaking, more layers of wood will produce a brighter and higher sound. Fewer layers will give way to lower and warmer sounds.
Also, the angle of the cut of the drum shell’s bearing edge also affects the sound quality of a drum set. Rounded bearing edges give way to lower and more mellow tones. On the other hand, a bearing edge with a sharper angle produces tones that are brighter with more definition.
The Yamaha Gig Maker set uses a standard configuration. The set is composed of 22″x16″ Bass Drum, 16″x16″ Floor Tom, 13″x9.5″ Mounted Tom Tom, 12″x9″ Mounted TomTom and a 14″ x 5.5″ Snare Drum.
These come as a set with the following hardware: bass drum pedal and a set of Yamaha’s double-braced hardware. The set does not include cymbals, but these can be bought separately.
Shells are made from Basswood and Poplar and finished with glitter wrap. This is a good set that is not too expensive due to the wood used. It is a good choice when looking for mid-ranged priced drum sets for sale.